A humble Mupen64Plus launcher (*not an emulator)
MupenRocket is a launcher for the command-line-only Nintendo 64 emulator, Mupen64Plus. It's a way for you to launch and play N64 games on your Mac without having to know anything about using the command-line terminal (Terminal.app).
I threw together an OS X launcher for Mupen64Plus before there was a viable MP64+ frontend like wxMupen64Plus. wxMupen64Plus is a proper Mupen64Plus frontend, whereas my launcher is just an interface for the command-line version of Mupen64Plus; it does the command-line stuff for you.
I did it mostly to learn how to hack together a basic application, and I used AppleScriptObjC to do it. This little launcher has gotten more downloads than I ever thought it would, which is a great incentive to keep working on it.
- An Intel Mac running OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or later
- 11 MB of hard disk space
Although MupenRocket is technically a Mupen64Plus launcher, it does come with some handy features other than launching games:
- Rom browser
- Basic plugin configuration
- Savestate tools (managing, launching, and backing up)
- Hi-res texture tools (adding & viewing texture folders)
- Mupen64Plus updating (you can select a newer version of mupen64plus.app for MupenRocket to use instead of its pre-installed version)
It doesn't do everything, though, like provide gamepad configuration and complete plugin configuration. But it should still come in handy!
Please post any bug reports or feature requests in the comments section of the release post: http://speedofmac.com/blog/mupenrocket-alpha-release-0-2/